- The Step-by-Step Guide: How to Get FSSAI License
The Step-by-Step Guide: How to Get FSSAI License
In India it’s necessary to get an FSSAI licence for every Food Business Operator, this is mandatory as per Section 31(1) Food Safety and Standards Act, 2006. This act states that every Indian FBO must have a Food Safety & Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) licence. The FSSAI licensing requirements and procedures come under the Licensing and Registration of Food Business Regulations, 2011, and the Food Safety & Standards 2011, which regulates the FSSAI licensing. FSSAI licensing or Food Safety and Standards Authority of India License is necessary in India for the business that is operating food.
It’s required for the business that manufacturers, transports, stores, or even are responsible for food distribution in India. FSSAI License varies as per the size and the nature of the company. Go trough entire article to know How to get FSSAI license for your own product.
FSSAI License: Who Should Apply
The Food Business Operators (FBOs) carrying on the following kinds of food business must have FSSAI License/Registration:
- FSSAI License is required for different types of shops namely Retail Shops, Bakery shops or Confectionery, Snacks shops, Petty retailers, and more.
- FSSAI License is required for different types of stalls like fixed stalls, temporary stalls, and all those premises that are involved in food preparation, food distribution, storage, and selling.
- Hawkers also come in the FSSAI License category as they are responsible for selling food items that are packed or prepared freshly by moving from one direction to another.
- FSSAI License category involves units that deal with milk, like Dairy Units, Milk Chilling Units, Milk Vendors, and Petty Milkmen.
- Different processing units like fish or meat also need FSSAI License.
- Houses that are used for slaughtering also require FSSAI License.
- Food Manufacturing units are also added to the FSSAI License category, these units need licence before repacking any kind of food.
- Units that deal with the processing of oil are also in need of licence before processing any kind of Vegetable Oil.
- The storage facility is required to have an FSSAI License for refrigerating any kind of food.
- Food like Proprietary food and Novel food are also added to the licence required category.
- Food transporters should have FSSAI licenses as they have different specialized vehicles that transport food products. These vehicles include milk tankers, food trucks, refrigerated vans, food wagons, and more.
- Different types of people who are associated with food products like Wholesalers, distributors, markets, and suppliers require FSSAI Licenses.
- Different types of food serving places like hotels, bars, restaurants, mid-day meal canteens, Canteens, and cafeterias.
- Places like Dhaba, Banquet halls, PG, Home Canteen, Food stalls, or religious institutions that are involved in providing food at different arrangements can only provide food after getting license under FSSAI.
- Food exporters and importers who are dealing with the import and export business of food items and ingredients also require an FSSAI licence.
- E-Commerce food businesses and cloud kitchens also come in this FSSAI licence category.
A Deep Dive into FSSAI Licence Types
On the basis of the scale and nature of food business operations, FSSAI provides different types of licenses.
- Basic FSSAI Registration: small food businesses that have an annual turnover of up to Rs. 12 lakhs require this type of registration. The Basic FSSAI Registration expires after five years and the local food authority is responsible for issuing such a licence.
- State FSSAI License: medium-sized food businesses that have an annual turnover between Rs. 12 lakh and Rs. 20 crore requires this type of licence. This type of licence is issued by the State Food Safety Department and can be enjoyed for a maximum of five years.
- Central FSSAI License: large food businesses that have an annual turnover exceeding Rs. 20 crore require this type of licence. The Central Food Safety Department is responsible for issuing such a licence and is valid for a maximum of five years.
- FSSAI Central License for Importers: Businesses or individuals that import food products into India require such licence. This type of licence is issued by the Central Food Safety Department and can be renewed after five years.
- FSSAI Registration for Transporters: businesses or individuals that transport food products require this type of licence.
- FSSAI License for Food Storage: individuals or businesses with food storage facilities require such type of licence which ensures that the stored food products meet safety standards.
FSSAI License is of many types depending upon the business type, production, and turnover. On the basis of these features, FSSAI License will be provided. FSSAI License provides the legal benefit and will ensure the safety of the food. It also creates awareness among the consumers regarding the food product, it helps food businesses to regulate, store, manufacture food items, and distribute and sell food that is imported.
It helps entrepreneurs in obtaining funds from the investors, its logo indicates that the food item is a quality product for the customers. Its registration number on any food premises means that the premises deliver standard and quality food and also take care of hygiene.
FSSAI license documents : What You Need
Below mentioned are the necessary documents that are required for FSSAI licence registration:
- A person needs to provide legal address proof and identity proof.
- Document where food categories are listed.
- The applicant should be ready with a layout plan document.
- Equipment details are also required.
- The passport-size photo of the applicant and its NOC from its respective municipality.
- Code in case of import-export.
- Test report of water.
- Two essential Documents, Memorandum of Association (MOA) and Articles of Association (AOA).
Key Aspects of FSSAI Registration Process
Once your required documents are in your hand, you can start the registration process for the FSSAI licence for my own product.
- The first step of the registration process is to submit your FSSAI registration form online from your comfort zone, meaning anywhere from any place.
- The second step is to pay the fee, you need to pay the FSSAI registration fee to proceed further.
- Once you are done with the fee, now it’s time to attach the required documents that are necessary for the FSSAI licence.
- You will get a unique application reference code or UARN, save this code for further processing.
- Next, your form will be analyzed by the authority, they will examine it for its approval.
- The authority will check the premises if it is meeting the requirements provided by FSSAI.
- Once everything is clear, the authority will issue the FSSAI registration certificate or FSSAI Licence for the applicant’s product.
FSSAI Registration Eligibility India
In India, FSSAI registration is very important for every type of food business operator. The registration varies as per the food category business. The eligibility criteria for FSSAI registration in India are as under:
FSSAI Basic Registration:
- Any food business whose annual turnover does not exceed Rs. 12 lakh.
- Small-scale food manufacturers that have a limited scope of operations like petty retailers and other limited businesses.
FSSAI State License:
- Any food business with an annual turnover of Rs. 12 lakh and does not exceed Rs. 29 crore.
- Medium-sized food businesses operating within one state like manufacturers, distributors, transporters, and others.
FSSAI Central License:
- Any food business annual turnover exceeding Rs. 20 crore.
- Large-scale food businesses operating in multiple states like manufacturers, importers, exporters, 100% export-oriented units, and others.
Business regardless of Turnover:
- Dairy units exceeding 50,000 liters of milk/day more than 2500 MT of milk solids per annum.
- Meat units exceeding 500 kg of meat per day or 150 MT per annum.
- Food processing units with a capacity of more than 2 MT per day, excluding grains, pulses, and cereals milling units.
Meeting FSSAI Requirements: Product Approval Policy
A product needs to be approved before getting introduced in the market, this process is done by the Food Safety and Standard Authority of India or FSSAI. The FSSAI follows multiple rules and regulations under Food Safety and Standards (FSS) Act, 2006, before approving any product in the market. There is a set standard for different types of food products which are designed by the FSSAI, once your product meets the required standards the FSSAI approves your product.
Every year Food Business Operators (FBOs) launch new food ingredients and products but these food items do not cover any kind of rules or regulations. If any food product does not cover any FSSAI Act or registration then such products need FSSAI Product Approval which is mandatory for food items. The main aim of FSSAI Product Approval is to make sure that the product is meeting the food standards so that only standardized food will be available for the citizens of India in the market.
To maintain and control food products and ingredients that are launched by the FBOs and to provide innovative opportunities for food products for the food business operators. FSSAI approved the Food Safety and Standards for non-specified food and food ingredients under the 2017 Regulations, Act. This regulation has set rules and policies for the approval of food products and ingredients that are not specified, once these non-specified food items meet these set of rules and policies the food ingredients and products are granted approval.
FSSAI Product Approval Benefits
FSSAI has many different benefits when it comes to production approval, below mentioned are a few of its benefits:
- Without the approval of the food authority, non-specified food or food ingredients can not be imported or manufactured. Only those persons who can enjoy non-specified food manufacturing will be approved by the FSSAI.
- A food product can have the benefit of high public confidence because FSSAI ensures its safe consumption.
- FSSAI product approval means that the product you are going to consume or produce is accurate and benchmarked and has successfully met all worldwide standards, this will attract international customers and can have confidence in the food that they are going to buy.
FSSAI License is very important for food business operators, its licence process takes at least 60+ days, once the applicant applies for the FSSAI License, he/she need not wait and can begin the food business. FSSAI License has created many different measures to check and provide quality food among all citizens. It is practicing safeguard measures and techniques for the standard quality of food. FSSAI licence is required for every practice related to food whether its food production, its storage or processing, its packaging, or the distribution of the food.
For an FSSAI licence you need to have legal documents and then should apply for its registration, once you will get the FSSAI licence, you can enjoy food business operators with ease.
Why is it necessary to get an FSSAI licence?
In India it’s necessary to get an FSSAI licence for every Food Business Operator, this is mandatory as per Section 31(1) Food Safety and Standards Act, 2006. This act states that every Indian FBO must have a Food Safety & Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) licence.
What are the benefits of an FSSAI licence?
FSSAI License provides the legal benefit and will ensure the safety of the food. It also creates awareness among the consumers regarding the food product, it helps food businesses to regulate, store food, manufacture food items, and distribute and sell food that is imported. It helps entrepreneurs in obtaining funds from the investors, its logo indicates that the food item is a quality product for the customers. Its registration number on any food premises means that the premises deliver standard and quality food and also take care of hygiene.
Who is in charge of product approval?
A product needs to be approved before getting introduced in the market, this process is done by the Food Safety and Standard Authority of India or FSSAI.
What was the reason behind the approval of the Food Safety and Standards (non-specified food and food ingredients) Regulations, Act 2017?
To maintain and control food products and ingredients that are launched by the FBOs and to provide innovative opportunities for food products for the food business operators. FSSAI approved the Food Safety and Standards for non-specified food and food ingredients under the 2017 Regulations, Act.
Disclaimer: The information contained in this article is for general information purposes only. The information is provided by StartupYo (SAB Weblabs Pvt. Ltd). While we endeavor to keep the information up to date and truest to the best of our knowledge, we make no representations or warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability, suitability, or availability with respect to the website or the information, products, services, or related graphics contained on the website for any purpose. Any reliance you place on such information is therefore strictly at your own risk.